Monday, October 26, 2009

Blog Post #7

When asked to explain "Sensation and Perception," I would tell them that sensation is the process by which our sensory receptors and nervous system receive and represent stimulus energies from our environment. Perception is the process of organizationand interpreting sensory information, enabling us to recognize meaningful objects and events. Sensation and perception is one continuous process.

The most interesting thing I learned in this chapter is when you are getting skin repair it is helpful to have the patient watch a virtual reality video. The escape into virtual reality is a major distraction to the pain. The distraction is diverting the brains response to painful stimulation.

The article I read is called "Seven Ways Music Influences Mood." Music can change your mood for the better or worse. Eight young adults from Finland were investigated and interviewed for their changing moods. Sevens strategies: entertainment, revival, strong sensation, diversion, discharge, mental work, solace aim for 2 goals: controlling and improving mood. Music has been shown to be reflective, which means we can better understand our emotions. The only downfall of music when you are sad, is that you will constantly be thinking of your negative emotions.

Music helps me in life. I listen to happy and upbeat music when I'm happy. I listen to depressing and sad music when I'm in a bad mood. Music really affects my life. I am always listening to something. Music will forever influence my life.

3 comments:

  1. It defineatly is wierd how by just distracting someone you can lessen their pain. I've actually noticed that from experience though too. When I got my tattoo I tried not to even think about the pain. I just carried on a conversation the whole time and it didn't really hurt at all. I really think that it helped to be preoccupied. I've heard lots of stories like that where the person has something even bigger going on and they don't even notice the pain that most people would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa I never really thought about how being distracted can help reduce the pain. But then again, I've experienced that. When I get a shot or blood drawn, I look away from the spot where the needle will be going and just think of other thoughts. It does help a little. Also,I get tendonitous a lot, so when I have to run at track meets the pain goes away when I'm focused or running and event or high jumping. I don't even feel it until I'm done with an event. I too am influenced by music. It's my happy place. I love music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very interesting that it helps to watch a virtual reality video when receiving skin repair. It makes sense that it distracts from the pain. Music also helps me in my life. Sometimes it helps me get through the day. I love music and each song influences me differently wether it be rap or rock or country.

    ReplyDelete