Without memory, human beings are nothing more than specs on the Earth. Memory enables us to relive moments, love others, and excell in life. Memory is vital to living life. Without memory, life would be endlessly boring and repetitive. Life without memory, would be like life without love. One would feel incomplete and empty. Memory really brings out things in people, good and bad. I don't enjoy thinking about life without memory. It is too sad for me to grasp. I think humans were put on this earth for a reason, and without memory, we would have no reason to live.
Clive Wearing has an unfortuanate story. He aquired brain damage and cannot remember things for periods longer than 20 seconds. He is a very talented musician and is very passionate about music. Even after his brain stopped working correctly, he still kept pursuing his dream. Although Clive can't remember anything longer than 20 seconds, he is still a human being. He has feelings and thoughts just like those of any other person. His unfortunate condition would be said to "hinder" his development. Clive didn't stop chasing his dream. He still conducts, composes, and plays music. His drive to suceed pushes me to be a more motivated person.
Clives wife is a wonderful person. She demonstrated what true love is all about. Even though her husband has no idea who she is, she still stands by him and loves him. I admire her so much. I don't know if I could ever do what she does. I would want my husband to remember me and all of our experiences together. If he couldn't do that, I think I would "fall out of love" as to say. I would feel like I was babysitting my husband. I do not have the patience to do what she does.
I take it forgranted every single day that I have memory. I use the gift of memory every second of every day. After learning about Clive, I am so thankful that God blessed me with the gift of memory. I don't believe that I could handle not having it. It gets me through life and I can't even begin to describe how important it is.
After learning about memory, I definitly view it differently. I now know more things than I ever did. I think that learning about memory has made me appreciate it a lot more. I never really noticed memory this in depth, until now. I now treasure my memories, good and bad. I am aware that I am very lucky to even have any memories. I see all my memories in a different light now. I sometimes don't trust my memories. If I don't enjoy a certain memory, I tend to change it in my mind. I change what happened to make myself believe that it actually occured in a different way. I am surprised that I found the penny on my first try in the Recognition exercise. I tried to remember all the times I looked at a penny. I put all the pieces together and chose the correct penny. Most people would just choose their first instinct, but that isn't always the right answer. Thought and consideration will get you far.
Automatic processing is an important aspect to our everyday lives. It allows us to multitask and parallel process everything that happens in our daily lives. Humans unconsciously process information about space, time, frequency, and well-learned information. Space allows us to remember certain locations of items or important information. Time lets us sequence our days. We remember certain things according to our time schedules. Frequency allows us to keep track of how many times certain events happen (example: I saw that woman running 5 days in a row this week!). Well-learned information is with us everywhere we go. It basically is uncontrollable and we don't even notice we are doing things. Humans are so accustomed to doing everyday things, that we take forgranted the complexity of our human nature. Automatic processing is important in that we humans multitask and accomlplish multiple tasks with half the effort. I can apply it to my life in everyday situations. I always find myself diciphering things unconsciously. It is human nature and is normal. I will now view my multitasking situations as a great and completely normal human experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In your writing you say that without memory we would be repetitive. My Brother had a concousion during football season and on the way to the hospital he couldn't remember anything resently. I was hard on the family because we didn't know if he would get better. Memory is a very important thing in order for us to learn and surivive. All Good memories should be remembered and all bad memories should teach you a leason.
ReplyDelete